8/1/09

Lutheran theology frees the Christian from the requirement to be nice.

Matt, in a response on the Internet Monk blog, states the following about being a Lutheran:

"Lutheran theology frees the Christian from the requirement to be nice. “Be Nice” is the great unwritten commandment of the contemporary church. Any number of church fathers (including Paul and Christ himself) could be remarkably blunt and “divisive.” But American Christianity always has to have a smiling face, even if its phony, and our society picks up on our phoniness. Therefore, many Lutherans often come across as grumpy, argumentative and uninterested in being your pal. Some of these are quite active on the Internet!"

Someone finally speaks the truth! “Grumpy, argumentative and uninterested in being your pal” sums up much of my experience with meeting fellow Lutherans in person and on the Internet. My Lutheran church is a cold and unfriendly place. The pastor is great and there are a few people who go out of their way to welcome people. However, for the most part, no one talks to each other and the only people welcoming visitors are the “greeters” at the door.

I guess the "passive" nature of Lutheran spirituality causes Lutherans to wait around until the Holy Spirit gives them compassion and love for other people.

Here is my growing list of the potential "side effects" of Lutheran theology:
What other potential negative "side effects" have you noticed?

3 comments:

Future Church said...

Presumption of intentional malice of other Christians toward the Gospel. We could never just disagree. The other person had to be stuck in the "Old Adam," or "pampering the flesh" at the expense of being Christ centered, and cross focused. Now, in fairness, I believe there is some of this in evangelicalism, but not to the extent that some Lutherans would like to assume. Perhaps that's another "side effect"...building strawmen in order to knock them down. In the end, you just gotta keep that 16th century works righteousness debate raging! And everyone has to be guilty of it except you!

Dixie said...

When I first started my catechesis in the Orthodox Church my priest made mention of the profound impact it will have on us when we meet a holy person. My first "inward" reaction was "ya, right...ain't no such thing as a holy person", because quite honestly, holiness was not something that I saw pursued in Lutheranism. I didn't even think holiness was achievable in this life. Then I met a holy person...and saw everything Father promised.

I don't think Lutherans really believe that God can change us in this life and this allows them not to change...hence some of the observations you have made.

I thank God every day that my dear husband is NOT a Lutheran who thinks this. Frankly even as a Lutheran he is more Orthodox and far more holy than I.

Anonymous said...

I think you hit all the big ones, but how about judgementalism, i.e. always ready to see the splinter in another's eye? That was a biggie for me. The OC has the most humble people I've ever met. Perhaps it's just the Germanic nature of the Lutherans I grew up around that turned me off.